lunes, 2 de julio de 2012

Edgard Lee Masters y Sandro Cohen





Amanda Barker

 Henry got me with child,
Knowing that I could not bring forth life
Without losing my own.
In my youth therefore I entered the portals of dust.
Traveler, it is believed in the village where I lived
That Henry loved me with a husband's love,
But I proclaim from the dust
That he slew me to gratify his hatred.

Amanda Barker

 Henry me embarazó
 sabiendo que no podría dar a luz
 sin perder la vida.
 Así fue que en mi juventud
 pasé por los portales de polvo.
 Viajero: en el pueblo donde viví se cree
 que Henry me amó con amor de esposo,
 mas proclamo desde el polvo
 que por satisfacer su odio me mató.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

 My father who owned the wagon-shop
And grew rich shoeing horses
Sent me to the University of Montreal.
I learned nothing and returned home,
Roaming the fields with Bert Kessler,
Hunting quail and snipe.
At Thompson's Lake the trigger of my gun
Caught in the side of the boat
And a great hole was shot through my heart.
Over me a fond father erected this marble shaft,
On which stands the figure of a woman
Carved by an Italian artist.
They say the ashes of my namesake
Were scattered near the pyramid of Caius Cestius
Somewhere near Rome.

Percy Bysshe Shelly

 Mi padre, dueño del taller de carruajes,
 y enriquecido con el negocio de herraduras,
 me mandó a la Universidad de Montreal.
 No aprendí nada y volví a mi pueblo
 y vagaba por los campos con Bert Kessler
 cazando codorniz y agachadiza.
 En Lago Thompson el gatillo de mi escopeta
 se atoró en la borda de la lancha
 y se me abrió un gran hueco en el corazón.
 Sobre mi tumba un padre cariñoso
 erigió este tallo de mármol
 sobre el cual se ve la figura de una mujer
 esculpida por un artista italiano.
 Dicen que las cenizas de mi homónimo
 fueron esparcidas por la pirámide de Cayo Cestius
 en algún lugar cercano a Roma.

Indignation Jones

 You would not believe, would you
That I came from good Welsh stock?
That I was purer blooded than the white trash here?
And of more direct lineage than the New Englanders
And Virginians of Spoon River?
You would not believe that I had been to school
And read some books.
You saw me only as a run-down man,
With matted hair and beard
And ragged clothes.
Sometimes a man's life turns into a cancer
From being bruised and continually bruised,
And swells into a purplish mass,
Like growths on stalks of corn.
Here was I, a carpenter, mired in a bog of life
Into which I walked, thinking it was a meadow,
With a slattern for a wife, and poor Minerva, my daughter,
Whom you tormented and drove to death.
So I crept, crept, like a snail through the days
Of my life.
No more you hear my footsteps in the morning,
Resounding on the hollow sidewalk,
Going to the grocery store for a little corn meal
And a nickel's worth of bacon.


"Indignación" Jones

 ¿No me creerían, verdad, si les dijera
 que era yo de buen abolengo gales,
 que tenía la sangre más pura
 que la basura blanca de aquí,
 que mi linaje era más directo que el de los neoingleses
 y los virginianos de Spoon River?
 No creerían que fui a la escuela
 y que había leído libros.
 Sólo me vieron como un hombre gastado
 de pelo y barba enredados,
 un hombre de ropa deshilachada.
 A veces la vida se vuelve un cáncer
 de tantos golpes, tanto golpe sin tregua,
 y se convierte en una masa purpúrea
 como plaga que ataca al maíz.
 Yo fui carpintero, atascado en el fango de la vida
 en que anduve, pensándola una pradera,
 mi mujer, una perdida, y la pobre Minerva, mi hija,
 la que ustedes atormentaron y arrojaron a su muerte.
 Por eso me arrastré como caracol por los días
 de mi vida.
 Nunca más oirán mis pasos en la mañana
 retumbar sobre el hueco de la acera,
 caminando a la tienda por una pizca de maíz
 y cinco centavos de tocino.